"Richmond 5" Competition Announced
Have a great business idea but don't know what to do next?
The Center for Economic Development, Entrepreneurship and Technology (CEDET) at Eastern Kentucky University is looking to help five ambitious entrepreneurs turn their dreams into reality.
"The Richmond 5" is a competition designed to identify five entrepreneurs who will enter the EKU Business Accelerator (Incubator) for one year and then locate their business in Richmond. Over the course of one year, Richmond 5 participants will receive office space in EKU's Business and Technology Center at a reduced cost, accelerated coaching/mentoring, promotion of their business, and other tools and connections they will need to launch a successful, sustainable business in Richmond.
Richmond 5 participants will receive:
- 300 square feet of office space at a Richmond 5 rate.
- one year of membership in the Richmond Chamber of Commerce. Additionally, women-owned businesses will receive a one-year membership in the Business Babes Society, a local support and networking group that promotes business women in the community.
- training and networking opportunities.
- access to start-up funds.
- coaching and mentoring.
- if needed, two hours of legal services for intellectual property review/search, LLC advice, and trademark/domain name review.
- if needed, discounted web design and setup from Startup Production.
- if needed, social media account setup, including training, and professional design services to create a logo.
- advertising and promotion in the local newspaper for one year.
To be considered for the Richmond 5, applicants must have a business idea they would like to launch in Richmond (home-based operations that would evolve into storefront businesses will be considered), complete the Accelerator application at bizaccelerator.eku.edu/application, and schedule an appointment with the Small Business Development Center at EKU (Director Jason Rainey, 859-622-1384 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to review and discuss the application. The competition will run through Sept. 29 with the winners announced in October.
Published on August 05, 2014